Sunday 12 January 2014

Week 13


Day One

Today was the first day back after Winter break and the beginning of the deconstruct reconstruct project. To begin this project I had prepared by going to charity shops to gather a variety of different garments, this include eveningwear, outerwear, work wear and knitwear. I started off by placing the garments of the stand and experimenting with how they can be worn in different ways. I felt that this exercise went well for me as it gave me a better understanding of how the garments can be worn differently. I proceeded to look at the construction of the garments such as the type of seams and how the fabric was used. I photocopied close ups of the garments, which I used to collage with. When collaging I tried to use a variety shapes, which I later developed by adding a foil effect and stitching into. I enjoyed collaging because it enabled me to look into how different fabrics can be used together. However I found this activity took longer than I would’ve liked as I was spending too much time deciding the shape.

 

Day Two

I started today by looking at my completed collages, I began to develop these taking inspiration from the shape, this then lead to me doing a small selection of quick designs that took similar shape and techniques from the collages. After this I looked back at the garments and began to take them apart in order to understand the ways they were made, by looking at their fastenings, seams and interfacings or linings. I pinned the pattern pieces to the stand and manipulated the fabric so the shape was different from its original. I didn’t find this to be that affected as the shapes were not very interesting, therefore I decided to take the garments and take off some aspects such as sleeves or collars and then placing them on different parts of the body such as making a pair of trousers a jacket by using the trouser legs as sleeves. I found this technique more effective as my results were much more interesting.

 

Day Three

Throughout the morning I carried on with using the modified garments in different ways. For some I took particular aspects from one garment and then mixed it with another garment. Or even take apart a garment and then pining it back together in a different way to create a different garment, I carried on developing these throughout the day. I liked the results I was getting however felt that I could push these ideas further. I could develop them further by incorporating different fabrics or referring back to my collages, I could include the foil technique or even the repeated stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment