Sunday 26 January 2014

Week 15


Day One

Today was the first day of the sportswear project. Today I just spent the day gathering primary research this consisted of visiting shops such as lilywhites, Selfridges, Debenhams and Nike. The purpose of this was to gather up many different images that illustrated aspects of sportswear. I discovered the different types of garments for different sports, as well as spotting similar aspects that the garments feature such as fastenings and fabrics. This helped me decide what sport I wanted to focus on throughout the project, after reflecting on my initial research I settled on cycling to be my focus point.

 

Day Two

By choosing cycling to be my main focus point I wanted to create a concept board. For this I went to the library to find relevant resources, initially this task was supposed to be quick and straightforward, however it ended up being longer than I had anticipated as I could not find a substantial amount of relevant research. Therefore after gathering about five images, I started looking at web-based resources, by researching into the 2012 Olympic games and looking at the velodrome cycling and cyclists. I focused on what the athletes wore and was interested in how their apparel makes them streamline. I found 4 images that represented this idea and used this as the starting point to my project. I developed from my concept board my taking each image and representing the aerodynamics streamline idea by painting over them, that would represent the movement of the air over the athlete.  

 

Day Three

Today I gathered the research I conducted on the first day, I looked through this selected the best images, once I had done this I printed it out twice one for my sketchbook another so I could use it to collage from. I created four collages that used the different fabrics, colours and showed off the seams and stitches. This helped me to identify the colours and fabrics I could use for my finals line up. The colours I chose were neon yellow, neon pink and a royal blue. I wanted these colours to come in a neoprene and a sports mesh fabric. I chose these fabrics and colours because they featured heavily in my research and I felt that they related to the sports theme well, as they are traditional sports fabrics and colours. So for the rest of the day I decided to go to Berwick Street to find suitable fabrics. I found the fabrics relatively easy, and by doing this research trip into the fabrics and colours it enabled me to see that there was a huge range of fabrics and colours that I could use. However I decided to stick with my chosen fabrics and colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment