Sunday 2 February 2014

Week 16


Day One

I started today by looking at my research from day one, I was looking for the types of seams that are featured on sportswear garments. Once I found 3 seams I copied the shape and cut this out on paper I then began to arrange the seam shape on the stand, this helped me experiment by looking at the shapes of seams and where they can be placed on the body. Once I did this several times coming up with different results. I looked at the circular shape of the velodrome cut this out in many different sizes and did the same thing. I found this exercise really effective as it allowed me to look at shape in a different way. I believe that the velodrome shapes were not as successful as the seam shapes as they were not as interesting, so in order to develop from this I manipulated the shape on the stand, and I believe the results to be more successful. As I was going along I made sure to take pictures, then I sorted through my images selecting 8 of my favourite. With these 8 images I then began to develop designs off of them. I did a small series of quick designs that explored the shapes, I found this exercise very beneficial as it allowed my designing to be pushed further and more developed.

 

Day Two

As I had briefly focused on the velodrome I began to look more into this shape and how I could use this on the body. For this I cut out the shape several times and used it to collage off of. I also made some digital collages that used the shape. This development of shape showed me how I could take one simple shape and use in many different ways to create different designs. I later focused on developing my collages through hand drawn rough sketches. This enabled me to clearly see how my final line up may look after development. Once drawing my quick designs I added colour, yet regret the way I chose to add this colour as I believe it weakens the presentation, however I now know for next time to avoid what I did and apply colour in a simpler better looking way.

 

Day Three

After looking back at all of my research and developments I began to design towards my final line up. First I drew out some rough ideas of what my final line up may consist of, always bearing in mind the velodrome shape, and my chosen colours and fabrics. Once I did this I drew out my final 6 looks. I was able to do this efficiently as it did not take too much time. I scanned them in as I prefer to edit them in Photoshop, I feel that by doing this my presentation is much clearer and I also wanted to add prints and the fabric to the designs. This took a lot longer than what I had planned for, so when it came to presenting my work in the group critique my line up was finished however lacked on presentation and also the colours once printed came out different colours. So after the critique I changed the colours which did not take long and then I also adjusted the patterns and the sections where I had added the fabric, this then made the line up look a lot better all together.

 

Overall I really enjoyed this project from my initial concept and how I developed my ideas, I felt that this was the first time that I worked consistently as I didn’t have an issues or hit any blocks along the way. Things that I wish went better would be the way I designed because I feel that I could have exhausted the velodrome idea such as designing separate pieces, where as I feel that I was a bit safe in terms of designing for this project. But looking back I feel that this was quite a strong project for me as I began to design in different processes before which I would like to carry on throughout my next projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment