Sunday 16 February 2014

Week 18


Day One

After exploring the fan shape last week, I wanted to carry on this way of working, as I believed it was working for me. I looked into my trip research and started doing the same exercise I did with the fan shape, however this time I used the shape of two Chinese bottles and also the coke bottle from and Andy Warhol piece in order to combine the two cultures together. So I created hand drawn and digital designs as well as collaging to develop these shapes. I collected a range of interesting structural shapes, which I really liked. Once exhausting the bottle shape I began to take interest in traditional Chinese dress. I chose to focus on the shape of the seams used, so I took the seam shape and placed it on the stand in a multiple of ways. Experimenting to see how it could feature on the body. I then developed off of my stand work and developed straight off of the traditional dress looking at ways I could reinvent it.




Day Two

Recalling my previous research and design developments I chose 4 of my favourite and began to design off of them in order for the shape to be developed to its furthest, I did a series of very quick designs, which I then focused on into developed designs. I did this for the whole day I believe that I worked well but possibly could have worked more efficiently by being faster and thinking less about what I was doing and just focused more on the shape.


Day Three

Yesterday I developed designs thoroughly, so today I wanted to look into the possibility of creating a print or using the laser cutter. For this I fixated on Chinese and postmodern iconography. I looked at the Coca cola bottle and logo, taken from pop art and the Chinese dragon, which I had noticed, had been featured on many Chinese artifacts from my trip research. I mixed the two together, combing the two cultures in a postmodern way. I did this through drawings which I developed into digital files as this allowed me to experiment in a more efficient way. I developed some ideas for initial prints and also possible laser cutting samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment